FORT WILLIAM PHOTO DIARY

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Ben Nevis / Glen Nevix
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old Inverlochy Castle
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The weekend before my 21st birthday, I enjoyed a relaxing getaway to Fort William with a group of friends. It was absolutely amazing to see Scotland outside of the busy cities surrounding my home town, and it reminded me of just how beautiful it can be. Peering out of my cabin window and being able to see towering mountains, encompassed in an abundance of trees and rivers, is an image that will remain with me forever. This picture was especially beautiful during the night, when thanks to a lot less light pollution, the stars literally lit up the sky.

Most of my time was spent exploring the surroundings, including visiting Ben Nevis and taking a walk alongside the river running beside it. It was definitely a tick off the bucket list and I hope to go back one day and climb the full thing - maybe when I'm more prepared and am not wearing Birkenstocks! We also managed to visit Old Inverlochy Castle and Treasures of the Earth, both of which were very interesting. Old Inverlochy Castle is the ruins of one of the most important castles in Scottish history. I love visiting sites like these as they evoke so much emotion and I find it fascinating to learn all about the history and imagine it in it's prime. Treasures of the Earth is a small museum which is home to many crystals, gemstones and fossils. As an avid crystal enthusiast and collector myself, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The family run business even hosts some meteorite pieces and glow in the dark rocks which is pretty damn cool! Although small, the museum is very interesting and also boasts a pretty amazing gift shop, filled with antiques, fossils and jewellery made from crystals and gemstones.

Fort William also has many trinket shops, pubs and restaurants in the town centre so it's worth a visit, especially if you're looking for something to do at night. I was pleasantly surprised at how busy it became, with the restaurants and bars spilling out in to the pretty beer gardens and cobbled streets. If you are interested in nature and maybe enjoy camping, then Fort William is definitely a place to visit. It has a lot to offer for such a small place, and really opens your eyes as to how lovely a place Scotland is.

No comments:

Post a Comment